Membership of ATGI offers the following benefits and services:
- Our Book a Guide Service places guides on city, local and extended tours. Many overseas operators are now using this service to source guides and the service is free of charge to them.
- Members are listed in our annual Directory: ATGI issues a Directory of Approved Tourist Guides to the industry and their details are also posted on the website.
- Membership and Identity Card: ATGI is the only body issuing ID cards to approved tourist guides in Ireland.
- Insurance cover: Member-to-member personal accident and public liability insurance is included in our membership fee.
- On-going education: We have a commitment to on-going training and education, and throughout the off-season we organise regular lectures and day trips for our members. Lectures are free of charge to members and costs are kept to a minimum for day tours. We also organise Ongoing Professional Training (OPT) annually.
- Annual weekend: A weekend familiarisation trip takes place annually to gain a more in depth knowledge of selected areas. It is also an ideal opportunity to get to know your colleagues.
- Newsletter: A newsletter is issued periodically to all our members to update them on the latest events within the organisation and in the industry.
- Representation on the Steering Committee: ATGI is represented on the committee that regulates the tourism industry.
If you are a Failte Ireland qualified or QQI6 National Tourist guide you are eligible to apply for membership into ATGI. If you would like to join us we will need the following:
- Completed application form (available below).
- A copy of your QQI level 6 certificate or Faílte Ireland badge (prior to 2016)
- One 'passport style' photograph (350dpi x 350dpi) - but not a passport photograph per se, more a current head-shoulder shot possibly with a smile, representing you as a professional guide, this will be used for the ID and public profile picture. Please write your name on back of the photograph
- Certificate of language proficiency if you propose to guide in a foreign language (any language which is not your native language).
- A cheque for membership fee made out to ATGI.
Membership fee - for existing members or guides returning into membership after a break - is €200. It is discounted to €155 if payment has been received by 5th December 2019 (after that date it reverts back to €200). Membership runs from 1st January to 31st December 2020.
We are proud to announce an introductory offer for new members.... First time members can join at a reduced rate of €155 (no time limit from now to 31st December 2020)!
Alternatively (to a cheque) you can pay your membership by bank transfer. Please ensure that your name is visible on the payment.
IBAN: IE41 BOFI 900084 86090261
Bank of Ireland, St Stephen's Green
Please send all membership (applications/renewals) related correspondence to: ATGI, c/o Nicole Bornschein, 15 Montini Road, Bayside, Dublin 13
ATGI Application for Membership Form (79 Kb)
Please note: Admission into membership is subject to Committee Approval.
If you have any questions about membership you can contact the membership secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: I am a professional tourist guide and work as the membership secretary on a voluntary basis.
Furthermore, please do not send any documents by registered post.
If something pertaining to membership applications is urgent (REALLY urgent!) ring me after 10am and before 8pm under: 086 4086818. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Nicole - Membership Secretary